Rain gutter installation is a well-paying and satisfying profession. The rain gutter installation industry is poised for strong growth in the coming years. The United States rain gutter market was worth just over 1 billion dollars in 2021. It is projected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 4.34%, reaching nearly 1.3 billion by 2027.
In other words, this is one of the most exciting times to enter the rain gutter installation industry. Whether or not you have gutter installation experience, you should start looking for good career opportunities. Let’s learn about what you can do as a gutter installer in Utah, your job prospects, how much you will make, and how you become a gutter installer.
What Does a Gutter Installer Do?
A rain gutter installer inspects, repairs, and installs rain gutters. They make sure every gutter installation job gets finished on time and efficiently. Correctly installed gutters protect a house from heavy rains and the potential water damage resulting from it. This is a detailed-oriented job that requires teamwork and presence of mind. This is an excellent career option if you like interacting with people and don’t mind climbing onto roofs.
As a gutter installer, your primary responsibility is to install rain gutters. But there is more than meets the eye to this job. You will also be responsible for meeting clients, inspecting the property, and completing all task required to finish the job. You also need to install rain gutters without damaging the property.
Furthermore, you will need to inspect the property for damages and hazards before your work begins. Depending on the situation, you may need to take care of maintenance and repairs. Sometimes, as a rain gutter installer, you also need to oversee or perform other related tasks. They include:
- Rain gutter chains
- Installing chimney cover caps
- Ice melt system installation and repair
- Leaf guard installation
- Gutter cleaning
- Siding repair and installation
Like in any industry, you can handle more responsibilities if you perform your job well. To cover these in depth, take a look at Ace Gutter’s core responsibilities of a gutter installer:
- Attendance & Coordination – Arrive to the job site each day on time and ready to work. Attend weekly huddles to celebrate weekly wins, work tips, address concerns, and keep up to date on safety topics.
- Safety – Think safety and work safely, participate in all available safety training, follow all the safety rules, report hazards and work-related injuries to supervisors promptly, and make suggestions for improving the company’s safety policies and procedures
- Production and Implementation – Implement all assigned word orders with timely completion per specification without rework or call back. Maintain a positive attitude while working. Provide quality workmanship and take pride in your work
- Communication Skills – Provide constant communication with the homeowner and account manager so that information is passed on in real time to better serve our clients
- CRM Management – Maintain accurate pictures and update tasks within our CRM regularly reporting project status to supervisors so that our records are kept current
- Vehicle and Equipment maintenance – Properly operate and maintain work vehicles and equipment. Fill out motor vehicle reports (MVR) once a week so that maintenance items are documented and taken care of promptly.
- Timecards reporting – Time totals are tracked using payroll software. Each employee is responsible to clock in and out using the software app. Report weekly assigned KPI to Tree Foreman
- Product Knowledge – Develop and cultivate a strong knowledge of our products and services so that you can prescribe appropriate, value-added solutions to our client
- Continuous Improvement – Always looking for small improvement opportunities that will make us better, faster, cheaper, more effective (example: automations, eliminate redundancies, improve methods)
In addition to this, you will also need to keep your work sites clean after your task is complete. When people call for professional rain gutter installation service, customers in Utah expect a clean, on-time, and thorough job. You will also need to be polite, punctual, and professional always.
What Qualifications Do You Need to Be a Successful Gutter Installer?
As discussed earlier, this job requires teamwork. When you work with a gutter company, you will need to work with a team. Also, this job also requires you to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Although you may not need any educational qualifications, you will need a few skills to fulfill your duties and responsibilities. They are:
1. Communication Skills
You will need to communicate with the clients and your team members. This includes both written and verbal communication skills. You should develop your communication skills before applying to a gutter company.
2. Attention to Detail
As you can see, rain gutter installations begin with a thorough inspection. You will need to inspect the roof for potential hazards, damages, and repairs. You can’t do this without attention to detail. You must learn to observe everything in as much detail as possible.
3. Knowledge of Power Tools
This job also requires excellent knowledge of power and hand tools. This involves using a cordless power drill, crimper, duckbill tin snips, extension ladder, hex head driver, offset tin snips, and pop rivet gun, among others. Make sure you know how to use these tools.
4. Teamwork Skills
As you will work with a crew, you will need excellent teamwork skills. You will need to coordinate with your team members while working. Good communication will translate into faster and more efficient work. Secondly, you will also have to communicate with the clients. With proactive communication, you can ensure seamless customer service.
5. Time Management Skills
Time management skills help you increase productivity and reduce stress levels. In short, you can get more done in less. That’s why a seasoned rain gutter company will value this skill as much as your work experience.
6. Knowledge of OSHA Guidelines
Rain gutter installation involves climbing the roof, standing on the ladder, and handling power tools. That’s why you need to have a thorough knowledge of OSHA guidelines. These guidelines will help you work safely.
7. Work Experience
Prior work experience as a Gutter Installer is often an added advantage. It usually means more pay and better prospects. However, you can still join a gutter company like Ace Gutter even if you lack experience. We can help you learn the skills of this trade.
8. Added Skills
Many rain gutter installation service providers also value additional skills. In addition to installing rain gutters, if you know how to install heat tape, chimney caps, and leaf guards, you are more likely to land the job. These added skills might help you make more money.
How Much Does a Gutter Installer Make?
It depends! You can make more money based on your skills, experience, and hard work. At Ace Gutter Inc., a k-style installer full-time position will pay you $50K per year at performance standard. You can earn more if your performance improves. Some of our installers are making $80K plus per year as a master installer.
We are currently looking to fill a few positions. We are looking for:
- Apprentice rain gutter installer
- Lead rain gutter installer
- Master rain gutter installer
- Soffit and fascia installer
Why Work for Ace Gutter Inc.?
Ace Gutter Inc. offers excellent work environment for aspiring and experienced rain gutter installers. Here’s what sets a rain gutter company like ours apart from the rest.
- Set Your Own Schedule: We have the perfect work environment if you like being your own boss. All our experienced installers can set their own schedule. You can go online, pull up the jobs you want, and work out your own schedule. This gives you a chance to make more money when needed.
- Flexibility: As you can set your own schedules, striking a work-life balance is easy. You can get off by 3 PM and pick up your kids from school on weekdays. You can also work long hours on weekends if needed. This flexibility is hard to find elsewhere.
- Job Security: As a well-established rain gutter company, we offer long-term job security. We value your commitment and hard work, standing with you every step of the way.
- Paid Vacation: After completing three months with us, you can enjoy paid vacation time.
- Health Insurance: We also offer health insurance to our employees. However, you will be eligible for this perk after completing three months.
- 401K: Just like health insurance, you can start contributing to your 401K after completing three months with us.
Do you want to be a gutter installer? If yes, you will need to know the required skills and responsibilities. Hopefully, learning about them will help you make an informed decision.
Ace Gutter Inc. is a well-established company in Utah. If you want to be part of a tight-knit workforce of people who care about their Utah community, join us today. Call us at (801) 676-1048 or apply for the positions online.